Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wardrobe Practicality....huh?

A few years ago I would have said "huh?" too. I mean, a few years ago I had no reason for my wardrobe to be practical. Anything in the name if fashion! Sky high heels, dangerously low rise jeans, and dry clean only were not hazards pre kiddos. I did not have to worry about running (in stilettos) after a to year old when he takes off into the road in front of Panera (Not that my angel would ever do that. Hypothetical, obviously.). I did not have to worry about my bum making an unwanted appearance as I sit down in the middle of a park to change an untimely, explosive diaper. I probably also did not call it a "bum," but that's beside the point. I did not have to worry about puke, food, boogers, etc on my beloved silk blouses. All of these, however, are not reasons throw style by the wayside and wear hoodies everyday. I think hanging on to your personal style while doing the mommy thing is not only doable, but really important. I feel a million times better when I am put together and I do not think I am alone here.

So, how do you do it? I think you have to reevaluate what is practical in your everyday wardrobe. I don't mean that these lovers to the right no longer have a place in my life. They have just been reallocated from everyday to date night :) The idea is not to replace your wardrobe with a mom uniform. While being a mom gives me the greatest joy, I am more than just mom. The past few years my wardrobe (and shoe collection) has definitely changed, but I still dress very much me. I don't think this:

is a bad trade off  for getting to do this... 
all day long! 
Today was the perfect example of how my style has changed to the practical. I bought and wore a pair of heels that my three years ago self would have barely glanced at...because there weren't four inches high. And you now what, I loved them! 














I feel totally put together, but ready to play (or chase a toddler across a parking lot). The shoes are from Target, one of my all time favorite stores, which means it is one of the hubsters all time least favorite :)

It took me a little while to find the place where my pre baby fashion could meet the new needs of my crazy two baby life, but I feel like I am getting there. When I am shopping I definitely think a whole lot more about the practicality of each item. Did having kids change your style? How do you keep your sense of"self" when your days are consumed by the needs of your kids?

1 comments:

Null said...

Oh wow, I love that sweater coat in the last picture. Too cute!

I invested in a lot of flats after DD was born too. It's funny though, now she's over 2, I find I'm trading my flats for heels again. Your style changes with the ebbs and flows of life I guess. Heels are a hard habit to break.

Post a Comment