Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Like I could ever cheat on The Real Housewives.

Why?!? I get this question often. Why torture myself spend my only free time of the day sweating it out in my living room? Why go for a run when it's still raining outside? Why give up your Real Housewives addiction just to work out during naps?

My answer as a mom is pretty simple. I NEED the energy!

Believe it or not, sitting on the couch watching reality tv, reading the new copy of US Weekly and "treating" myself to some French Vanilla Coffee Mate with a splash of coffee in it during nap time was not leaving me rested and ready to face the second half of my day. I told myself that I "earned" these indulgences because someone had woken me up at 4am or someone else had a major meltdown when his tent wasn't facing the proper direction. I could find a justification every single day. But my chosen nap time activity was not helping me. It was making me more lethargic and my afternoons were TOUGH.

When I changed my "down" time, my energy level sky rocketed. Seriously, pop in a workout dvd, get on the Wii Fit, do your very own home workout or if you managed to make it to the gym in the morning...turn the music up and get some chores done (because who isn't more productive with Katy Perry singing to them?). Trust me when I tell you this: I know how it feels to collapse the second you close the munchkins door. BUT, I also know how much better you will feel if you resist that urge, get your heart rate up and be productive. This little change will make the afternoons much, much easier. The added endorphins make you feel like you can face anything and by the time the monsters munchkins wake up you are ready for them.

You have energy to do things like visit the Old Lady and slide down her shoe:

 And take Cinderella's horse's for a spin:

 Ride in her pumpkin coach:

And even climb up to Owl's house! 
(side note: if you are ever in the Sacramento area and have toddlers, Fairytale Town is a must!)

...AND, here is the real bonus: Are you ready for it? Your evenings are YOURS! You do not have to spend them feeling guilty about not getting a workout in or, if you got some of the endless housework done with a little help from KP (yup, we are on a nick name basis in my house) earlier then you don't have that weighing on your mind. Now, you can indulge...time to hop in bed and catch The Real Housewives. Seriously, did you ever think I would really give up that addiction? Don't tell my husband this is the real reason I relented to a tv in our bedroom. K? Thanks.

P.S. Did you know you can find a Real Housewives episode on pretty much 23 hours of the day. Bliss!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica this is Kristen Peters, I followed your link on FB. I loved this blog post! This is seriously my biggest issue. You are so right, the second I have a second to myself (ie: nap time for the twins) I flop down on my butt and watch t.v and then tell myself I deserve it for all the running around with the kids I do. You have made me realize I am not doing myself any favors, and this is why I am always dragging my feet on simple tasks. Thanks for the insight :)

Jess said...

I am so glad you liked the post! Your comment made me so happy because this is exactly what I am trying to do...relate to other moms out there. I hope I can keep writing things to inspire you to make the little changes :)

Post a Comment